Posts Categorized: Space jockey

Materials

As near as possible here is a list of materials used on the model which although started from day one, is still missing some items. 10 sheets 60th ( 1.5mm ) plastic card 10 – 12 sheets 40th ( 1mm ) plastic card odds of 10, 20, and 30 card. 15 metres garden wire, 2… Read more »

Final thoughts

This now the third model of the space jockey i have scratch built. I was well pleased with all of them but of course this is the biggest and last. I’m not even a sci – fi fan but to be honest when i bought a book many years ago about the making of the… Read more »

Done !!!

This is the photo of the completed and painted model. I coated the face, ribs and a few other parts in latex and after peeling some away, it looked reasonable and fairly patchy. I painted the scope first in dark graphite grey and then a slightly lighter shade. I did the same to the base… Read more »

My son, the web designer

This is my youngest son Kevin with the space jockey. He designed the website, then added all the photos and text and finally showed me how to do it all as well. He also did my other site which is mainly military. Have a look at  www.davetootill.co.uk.

This ‘n That

Some thinned out das clay was made up and painted into the various places around the face and ribs etc. Some more bits and pieces were sdded to the face and then sanded away again until i thought it looked OK. I suppose even more can be done with it but i had to stop… Read more »

Final scope detail.

A slab of das was added to the scope front and 14 half round balls were bedded into it whilst still wet. When it all dried they were removed and fitted again with spots of superglue. Side support bars had tops added from small pieces of shaped das. Holes at the top of the scope… Read more »

Back again.

Pieces of das were added to the seat back and top and cut then shaped into place. Thinner pieces were laid on and again shaped, some small pieces of plastic rod were added to these as they were still wet and more das blended into and under the rear ledge to meat the rear tubes.

Odds and sods

More smaller details were added from das to the seat top and back and blending them together. The seat ribs had to be continued around almost to the rear seat tubes. A couple of the main ribs were replaced fitting them slightly higher and some small discs of das were blended into the jockeys elbows.

Yet more scope detail.

More das was added to the scope sides and the front and then and blended in.1/4 inch pieces of half round rod were cut to lengths and added to the scope supports and the same in lengths to the front triangle part. To top horn or bone was a light fitting socket covered in das… Read more »

Getting a facelift.

At this stage i decided to add more detail to the face as i was neve too sure about it. The eyes were filled with a bit more das and shaped again, the jaw and mouth sides were re-done and the cheek bones altered. I then altered the bones that came down from the lower… Read more »

Scope and front detail.

Evergreen tube and elbows were made up to length and fitted to the front sides of the scope supports with solid das cone shapes in the middle of the centre one. The top circles are plastic card cups filled with das and then plastruct rings fitted, das was then used to blend all the edges… Read more »

Scope rear.

The rear scope box was again from 60th plastic card made into a basic rectangle, then angled pieces added to the sides and two end pieces made. Two pieces of half round large bore tube were added to the sides and covered in thin das clay, above these were added two pieces of plastruct tube… Read more »

Scope body.

One of the most difficult parts of this model was the scope main body, I first made a rectangle centre section from various thickness plastic card. I then used some 28mm tube from plastruct and cut two pieces to length, i drilled a hole at each end and then started the long boring task of… Read more »

Scope Front

two pices of shaped 40th plastic card were spaced for a lower middle and raised outside edges.infills of scrap card and when dry filled with das and re-shaped.Pieces of small tube were wrapped with copper wire and bedded into the das. when it was all dry the whole lot was coated in superglue.

Seat Ribbing

Thin pieces of das clay were rolled out and run from the seat sides across the arms and tucked in using lots of water ! Pieces of das were then pushed into the tops of the sides and blended into the shoulder tops and more added later as needed. more was added later to the… Read more »

Sides and Infills

The rest of the side detail strips were now added from curving pieces of das clay and following the side contours. the side ” V ” drops are from 60th card and small half round strip. front and rear lower bone ends were blended into the rest.

Back up

Back up. The rear seat detail was started simply at first with four pieces of plastruct tube shaped and covered in plastic coated copper wire. the middle ones were evergreen tube again shaped and covered with thin das

Boney

Boney.October 2010.Front and rear bone ends from roughly shaped das were added to the lower sides and also rear seat side bulges covered in das, then a basic side ridge was added

Scope support

Shaped pieces of 60 thou plastic card were added to sides of suppoer and the basic front shape to this i added a simple lip of plastic card then a piece of plastruct tube blanked off at one end was fitted beneath the cog and a quarter inc rod at the top of it.

Seat and Base

Pieces of high density styrofoam were cut to shape for the seat sides and base sides. At the far rear, plastic card ovals were fitted to lower pieces of card. The half cog pattern beneath the controls are from plastic card and thin plastic strip. The scope back panel is from 2 pieces of card,… Read more »